Director of Finance and Administration
Management Solutions Consulting (Mw) Ltd has been contracted by our client, Christian Health Association of Malawi (CHAM) to recruit a results-oriented Malawian professional with the requisite technical expertise and practical experience to take up the senior position of Director of Finance and Administration (DOFA) within its corporate hierarchy in order to strengthen the Top Management Team.
This is a challenging position requiring the services of a highly qualified and experienced individual who is a recognised leader with leading – edge skills in his / her area of expertise including accounting and finance, human resources management, administration, as well as project management. The new recruit is expected to join and contribute to the building a dynamic, multi-skilled and high-profile team of experts.
The Christian Health Association of Malawi (CHAM) is an ecumenical association of Church-owned facilities in Malawi and the CHAM Secretariat is the central coordination unit of the Association. CHAM is the second largest provider of health services in Malawi with member facilities in remote and hard to reach areas.
The objectives of CHAM are to facilitate, provide technical support, and develop health services among all member facilities in order to achieve equity in access to health care, patient care and in all matters, to act for the benefit of the people of Malawi.
CHAM now seeks to recruit a capable individual to take up the key portfolio tenable at its offices in Area 14 Lilongwe, Malawi.
Scope of Work
This is a challenging and high profile position requiring the services of an accomplished multi-skilled, highly experienced, visionary and pragmatic individual with proven leadership and management capabilities. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the core function of the Director of Finance and Administration (DOFA) is to provide overall leadership and oversight in the management and administration of finances in CHAM. The DOFA will also facilitate grants portfolio management within overall budget, ensuring timeliness, budget control and accountability. In addition, the DOFA will provide leadership in the general finance and administrative functions.
Summary of Core Responsibilities:
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following key functions:
- Advising the Executive Director on financial and administrative matters affecting CHAM;
- Coordinating all accounting functions including supervision, mentoring, staff development and conducting performance appraisal for accounting staff;
- Ensuring a sound accounting and internal control system;
- Preparation of financial statements;
- Leading the preparation of annual budgets and management accounts;
- Coordinating the preparation and execution of annual audits in liaison with external auditors;
- Ensuring adherence to donor/partner funding and reporting requirements;
- Ensuring adherence to all statutory requirements
- Overseeing cash and treasury management; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualification, Experience and Competencies
This position requires a highly motivated person with the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy or Commerce from the University of Malawi or other accredited Universities;
- ACCA or Master’s Degree in a relevant field;
- Minimum of 10 years working experience, 5 of which should be at a similar senior management position with a reputable organization;
- Working experience in NGO and private sector is a must; and
- Registered with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Malawi (ICAM).
Prerequisite Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Strong accounting, general management and negotiation skills;
- Strong organisational skills, versatility and ability to multi-task;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines especially in terms of financial reporting;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Ability to work as a team member and to execute successful leadership skills for coaching and developing employees;
- Sound and up to date knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- Be conversant with management of multiple donor projects and should demonstrate previous management of USG/EU projects; and
- Knowledge of the Sun System Accounting package would be essential but not a requirement.
Interested candidates should download a standard Employment Application Form from the CHAM website at www.cham.org.mw. A completed Employment Application Form, Curriculum Vitae with three traceable referees, copies of academic certificates and a covering letter with your contact numbers should be submitted to:
The Managing Director and Head of HR & Business Development
Executive Search and Placement Services
Management Solutions Consulting (Mw) Ltd
Closing date for receipt of applications is 12th April 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.